This is seriously the most flavorful, delicious, best whole wheat tortilla recipe using Khorasan Wheat. My kids beg me to make these and they get gobbled up fast! I strongly suggest reading and implementing these Khorasan Wheat soaking and sprouting instructions and then use that flour for this recipe (it’s totally worth it; I promise!). If you decide not to use soaked and sprouted flour, your tortillas will be tough and inflexible, like cardboard…but still tasty.
Ingredients for World’s Best Whole Wheat Tortilla Recipe Using Khorasan Wheat
- 4 c Campbell Farm Grains Khorasan Wheat flour (soaked and sprouted)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 T olive oil or avocado oil
- 2/3 c water
Directions for World’s Best Whole Wheat Tortilla Recipe Using Khorasan Wheat
- Using a mixer (KitchenAid is my mixer of choice), combine soaked and sprouted Campbell Farm Grains Khorasan Wheat flour, salt, baking powder, oil, and water and let mix for 5-10 minutes.
- If you aren’t eating right away, put the dough in a plastic bag and store in the fridge until ready to use. Warm tortillas are the best!
- Pre-heat tortilla press. I have found that medium heat is better than high heat because tortillas tend to stick on high heat. I used to use high heat and tried using cooking spray and extra flour, but the dough still tended to stick to the tortilla press (very annoying).
- Roll dough into a ball about 1″-1 1/2″ in diameter. Flatten the ball with your hands so that it looks like a small disk.
- Place the dough a little off center towards the back of the press and close the press tightly. When using medium heat, you may allow a minute or more for the dough to cook. Some experimentation with time may be needed. You want your tortillas to be floppy. If you cook them too long they will be stiff like a chip. Also, try not to check on the tortilla too early or you will tear it apart.
- Using a non-metal spatula, remove the tortilla and set aside on a plate. (I used to use a tortilla warmer but it just made the edges of the tortillas soggy).
- Repeat until all of the dough is used up. Great for burritos, quesadillas, desserts (cinnamon, butter, and honey on top), and pitas.
- Refrigerate any the leftovers (it’s doubtful you’ll have any!) and enjoy!