These chocolate chip and lemon zest khorasan wheat cookies are amazing! I love feeling good about what I’m eating…especially when it’s a healthy dessert! Thank you to Lan Shafer of Utopian Harvest for sharing!
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip and Lemon Zest Khorasan Wheat Cookies
- 3 1/2 cups whole-grain Khorasan Wheat flour
- 2 heaping tablespoons baking powder
- 2 heaping tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- scant 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter (or coconut oil — we used a mix of the two), cut into pieces, plus extra for greasing pan
- Zest of 1 lemon (or orange)
- 1 cup (about 2 handfuls) chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs, divided
- Just under (1 1/4 cups) milk of your choice (I prefer almond milk)
Directions for Chocolate Chip and Lemon Zest Khorasan Wheat Cookies
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a baking sheet.
- Sift Khorasan Wheat flour into a large bowl and add baking powder, coconut sugar, and salt.
- Add and mix cold butter (or coconut oil) with a pastry cutter or your fingers until mixed throughout. The flour mixture should look like coarse breadcrumbs. Add lemon/orange zest and chocolate chips, and gently toss mixture together.
- In a large measuring cup, beat one of the eggs, and then add enough milk to reach the 1 1/4 cup (300ml) level.
- Make a well in the middle of the bowl of flour and pour in the milk and egg mixture. Use a fork to slowly add the flour to the milk, working the mixture together. Finish mixing by using your hands, just enough to turn the mixture into a dough. (If it’s too dry to come together, add a little extra milk; if it’s too wet, add a little extra flour. You do not want the dough to be sticky.)
- Scoop 1 spoonful of the dough onto baking sheet
- Shape the dough into the shape of a round cookie.
- Beat the remaining egg in a small bowl and brush on top of the dough.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly golden. If the cookies bake into each other, that’s okay! Just separate the cookies after they have cooled.
- Serve warm with milk or tea and enjoy!